Friday, March 2, 2012

Feminism basics, 101, novice, something to start you off with at least.

                  Part of the reason I started this blog is because of the appalling lack of general knowledge I’ve been seeing online. I’ve seeing groups basing all their actions and ideas on some ridiculous stereotypes, mind you, I wouldn’t mind so much if they weren’t creating so much resentment among men and other women along with making life difficult for those of us that do have the basics covered and are trying to move up on the knowledge bar past intermediate to proficient and beyond. If there’s ANYTHING you don’t understand, leave me a comment and I’ll try to clarify (I do find it a bit hard to dumb down stuff, which is why when I write I talk to my brother or mother because they’ll let me know when I’ve lost them or made no sense to someone who either doesn’t have the vocabulary terms or understanding of it yet).

Feminism: (dictionary meaning) the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

This is as rudimentary as it’s going to get when defining feminism. After this it’s generally defined as;

- a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.

                 Please note it’s a collection of movements, which means there is no one true and only feminism as you see so many swearing by (example. I am a radical feminist. NOTE. It’s much more complicated than I’m making it sound, see my I Am. post for a breakdown of what I, personally, stand for as a radical feminist who also believes in other forms of feminism as well). That said, you’ll notice that when I refer to feminism, I add a (s) at the end, or I’ll use adjectives like “generally,” “hegemonically,” “ideologically,” “many” and “almost all,” but I will not say “all” or try to speak for all, because, well, I can’t and I shouldn’t (so, if at anytime I do, please feel free to call me on it and I’ll apologize and fix it because I truly strive to avoid doing that). The reason I don’t approve of the “spokesman” routine (speaking for everybody under a massive umbrella term) is because it leads to exclusion and can result in denying someone’s experience because it doesn’t fit your own.
Now that we have a basic understanding of feminism(s), let’s turn our attention to what makes it a collection, an active group, a physical movement itself, the people themselves, feminists.
                   It’s a term I’ve seen many hesitate to use in relation to one’s self, often tipped toed around like a slur or derogatory term because of the negative condensations due to all the stereotypes and prejudice attached to it, that does,come to mind when you say the word (i.e. bra burning, non-shaving, man-hating, lesbians- none – except the hating men part, are actually bad things by themselves [If someone wants to burn their bra, it’s none of my business, have fun; but generally due to their expense in the first place, most just don’t wear it if they don’t want to], but have all been used to devalue and "degrade" feminists by making them their “must be” truths).

Feminist: (n) A person who supports feminism. (ad) Of, relating to, or supporting feminism.

Note, no sex or gender is even implied in the fundamentally basic definition of what a feminist is. As you can see, it builds apon block one (feminism).

This is as basic as basic can get. If you did not know this stuff before, you do now, congrats: You've leveled up! You are now a novice! If you did/do have this knowledge, it's great to review and refresh your brain (healthy too, keeps the eye on the prize). So take your time to digest this knowledge, this'll be here for you to come back to review.

AND! If you happen to know any great feminist online communities, that would be FANNNNNtastic if you shared it with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment